FORT BEND ISD (Covering Fort Bend News) – Following changes in the 2019 Legislative Session, Fort Bend ISD will begin offering full-day Prekindergarten (PreK) programs throughout the District in the 2019-20 school year, and will reopen online registration from June 12 to June 21 for eligible families who wish to enroll their children.
To be eligible for Prekindergarten in Fort Bend ISD, a child must be four years of age on or before Sept. 1, be a Fort Bend ISD resident, and meet one of the following specifications:
- Limited English proficiency because a language other than English is the primary language spoken in the home (Students qualifying by language will be tested to determine placement in the program.); or
- Qualify according to the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines (Parents must bring proof of income documentation for at least one month of income, including current check stubs, child support statement of payment, or SNAP qualification letter, etc.); or
- Be homeless, as defined by the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act (Students who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence, including those living in hotels, camping grounds, emergency or transitional shelters, cars, public spaces, or any other space not designed for regular sleeping accommodations); or
- Have current or previous conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services; or
Is the dependent child of an active U.S. Armed Forces member or a U.S. Armed Forces member who has been injured or killed while on active duty; or
- Is the dependent of a police officer, firefighter, or emergency medical responder seriously injured or killed in the line of duty and received the Star of Texas Award.
To begin the enrollment process, parents of four-year-old children who are eligible for PreK will begin with the online enrollment system. Please check the PreK Feeder Pattern to find your zoned PreK campus. If you need to find your campus, you can also enter your address in this PreK School Finder to find your school.
Parents should begin the enrollment/registration process online and plan to attend the districtwide PreK registration event to complete the registration process. The event will be held Saturday, July 20, 2019 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Wheeler Field House, 16403 Lexington Blvd. in Sugar Land. View complete list of documents to bring to the registration event and a list of required immunizations for all students.
Students will attend PreK at an FBISD elementary school campus, with the determination based on their home address. While FBISD makes all efforts to place students at the campus closest to their home address, determination of a final placement will be subject to seat and staffing availability.
All students who were previously enrolled/registered to attend half-day Prekindergarten programs in 2019-20 will now attend for a full day, and parents will be contacted by FBISD to confirm their enrollment.