FORT BEND ISD (Covering Fort Bend News) – Six orchestras and two concert bands in Fort Bend ISD received national recognition as winners in the 2019 Mark of Excellence project. The Mark of Excellence Project, sponsored by The Foundation for Music Education, recognizes and awards outstanding achievement in performance by high school and middle school bands, choirs and orchestras.
The FBISD winning programs – one of which was named a National Winner (top 25 percent of entrants) and two as Commended Winners (among second 25 percent of entrants) – are among 320 of the finest musical ensembles from 38 states in the nation to enter the competition this year.
The Mark of Excellence project consists of the National Wind Band Honors, the National Orchestra Honors, National Choral Honors, National Jazz Honors, and the National Percussion Ensemble Honors. Winners are recognized in regional and/or national publications and at national and regional conventions. The project gathers entries from throughout the United States and provides valuable feedback for all entrants. A unique competitive environment is created, which allows ensembles to compare their performance quality to other outstanding groups from across the country.
Included in this year’s Mark of Excellence Project National Orchestra Honors project are the:
- Dulles High School Symphony Orchestra, directed by Michael Isadore, Joe Pruitt, and Angela Yip
- Austin High School Camerata Orchestra, directed by Ann Victor and Zoran Jasmak
- Fort Settlement Middle School Chamber Orchestra, directed by Angela Peugnet and Roger Vasquez
- Sartartia Middle School Symphony Orchestra (National Winner), directed by Sophia Hsieh
- Clements High School Chamber Strings, directed by Ginger Wolfe and Neal Springer
- Dulles Middle School Honors Orchestra (Commended Winner), directed by Sally Kirk and Regan Henrick
Recognized in the National Wind Band Honors project are the:
- Dulles High School Honor Band, under the direction of Joe Pruitt
- Sartartia Middle School Wind Ensemble (Commended Winner), under the direction of Julieanne Amos