KATY (Covering Katy News) - First Covering Katy warned you about the potential dangers Robo Cough, distributed by a Katy company. Now, the Fort Bend County Sheriff’s Office is warning parents too, after two teens were found unresponsive, apparently using the concentrated cough syrup to get high. Teens call it Robo Tripping. Others call it downright dangerous. 

Covering Katy News warned parents about this product earlier this year in May 23 article titled Teens Abusing Concentrated Cough Syrup that's distributed by Katy Company.

Robo Cough is a legal product but it's being used in a dangerous way according to numerous reports. It is marketed as a powerful cough suppressant. It  can be purchased through Amazon.

"It has been brought to our attention that this dangerous product is being manufactured in Katy, Texas," a press release from the Sheriff's Office said.  That press release was distributed Thursday afternoon, Sept. 26, 2019. It is the latest sign that the public is waking up to the popularity of "Robo Tripping."

The bottles are 1.52 fl oz and list the active ingredient as a concentrated dose of Dextromethorpham HBr (DXM), which is also the active ingredient in most over-the-counter cough suppressants.

"It has been reported teens are consuming this product for recreational use, and in some cases with adverse effects and overdose," the Sheriff's Office said.

Parents of affected children have claimed that the product is only being used to get high and not for cough relief.

"Two Fort Bend County families came to the Sheriff’s Office to share their stories," said a press release from the Sheriff's Office. "Two juvenile males had taken Robo Cough along with cough suppressant pills and they were found unresponsive by a parent."

Both teens were rushed to a local hospital and treated.

"We would like to inform the public, especially teens and parents, of the dangers of taking this legal drug incorrectly," said a statement from the Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office. 

"Rough Cough is not illegal, therefore the Sheriff’s Office is not able to open a criminal investigation," the press release said.

Recommended for you

(2) comments

Alpha1207

Thank you for sharing this, however I do suggest a more accurate headline: “Teens using cough suppressant irresponsibly found unresponsive.” I also think it’s odd how the blame is on the company when the parents are clearly the ones who weren’t doing their job as a parent in watching their kids. I don’t have any children but I’d imagine you’d want to pay attention to them every once in a while.


BuddmanTX

When are we going to blame the parents for not teaching there the dangers of being stupid Gasoline is bad if you drink it do we blame the oil companies?? This is very irresponsible


Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.