HOUSTON/HARRIS COUNTY (Covering Katy News) –The last major phase of the US 290 reconstruction program is underway with crews working to complete the new SH 6/FM 1960 bridge. In order to complete this work, the following areas will be closed beginning on Friday, September 6, 2019 at 9:00 p.m.:
· SH 6 northbound between Hempstead and US 290
· Hempstead eastbound to SH 6 northbound
· SH 6 northbound to Hempstead westbound
· US 290 eastbound exit to Eldridge Parkway/West Road
· US 290 eastbound frontage road at entrance from SH 6
Click here to see a map showing detour routes in this area during construction.
As part of this project, the current SH 6 bridge over Hempstead Road and the railroad tracks will be demolished the weekend of September 20th. Additional closures that weekend will include:
· Total closure of SH 6 northbound between Jackrabbit and US 290. Motorists will be detoured to the SH 6 northbound direct connector to US 290 eastbound.
· SH 6 southbound between US 290 and Hempstead will have one lane open during the day and will have a total closure overnight. SH 6 southbound motorists will be detoured right on Hempstead, left on Huffmeister to SH 6.
TxDOT anticipates SH 6/FM 1960 bridge construction to be completed in late 2020. The work will be completed in one phase, reducing the amount of time it would have taken to complete the bridge construction in multiple phases.
Once the new SH 6/FM 1960 bridge is opened, SH 6/FM 1960 through traffic will not have to travel through the signalized intersections at Hempstead, US 290 and Wortham Boulevard. Motorists will continue to have access to businesses along SH 6/FM 1960 via the frontage roads.
Visit https://www.my290.com/animations.html to see an animation of the completed SH 6/FM 1960 bridge and intersection.
To learn more about the US 290 Program or the roadway closures associated with this work, visit www.my290.com.
All closures are subject to change due to inclement weather.