CITY OF KATY (Covering Katy News)—Katy police are continuing their investigation into the death of a Katy resident Wednesday.
Roberta “Bobby” Johnson, 72, a resident at Veranda House Senior Living, 5129 E. 5th St., died after sustaining burns from a dropped cigarette.
Police Chief Noe Diaz said police are awaiting autopsy results and planned to conduct some more interviews. He said police collected everything needed for the investigation at the scene.
“It’s a tragic event, and something we wish wouldn’t have happened,” Diaz said.
Johnson’s clothes and wheelchair caught fire when she dropped her cigarette. Katy Fire Chief Russell Wilson said Johnson was responsive when paramedics reached her, and she was life flighted to Memorial Hermann Hospital in the Texas Medical Center, where she died of her injuries.
A spokesperson from Veranda House was not immediately available for comment. Covering Katy will update this story as events unfold.